Thursday, November 29, 2012

Networking and the true value of college

First of all, college is a business
In fact, it is a very big business
Some would argue that it is a greatly marketed product. Propspective students need to know one thing. It is not about what you know, it is about who you know. The only reason I am saying this is because there is 1 skill you should learn on college regardless of what you study. This skill is networking. You should spend your 4 years in college laying down the cables for a very expansive network. I did the math. The numbers you get are extraordinary. I had to take 120 hours to graduate. On average, that is 40 classes. I know it averages out since some classes are 1 hour and some classes are 4 hours. On average, the classes are  3 hours long. It is impossible to cover everyone. Us being human, some people we just do not like. We do not have a reason, but they rub us the wrong way. This is to be expected. How many students per class? I went to a larger university and my senior year, we had about 35 students per class. Some of the core classes had close to 120 students. The numbers will change, the point is the results. The point is that you meet close to 1500 people in classes alone. I am doin this on the bases of the average i determined plus i assumed every teacher had an assistant. This is a good number, but this is just a starting number. 1500 for just showing up to classes. Here is where you need to assess a trade off. Is it better to get straight a's or do i sacrifice the grade in order for a payoff? Unfortunately, I was in a choice where I had to get good grades in order to graduate. It was not that I am a bad student, it has to do with academic politics. Our school had a policy that you needed a 2.8 gpa to graduate. This is fine for the business school but it affects the students. It cuts into your social time. In hindsight, there should be a greater emphasis on being social. This is especially true in any business majors. Business is all about connecting people. Because I was so worried about making the grade, I missed out on what was truly important. The people. The grade I got on my paper was more important than the social grade I made. The point I am trying to make is that college is a goldmine for meeting people. If you join a fraternity, add another 10-15 people. If you join an organization, add another 2-3 people per organization. The math quickly adds up. Networking is not being best friends. Networking is that they know who you are and can vouch for your character. I will put money on it that a liberal arts major with a 600 person network will have a greatly easier time than a business major with a network of 30 finding a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment